For those of us trying to live healthier, eat better and lose weight, we’ve entered a challenging couple of months.
But in all honesty, November into January doesn’t have to be scary or dangerous. In fact, you can, and should, fully enjoy the holidays – stress free – with your friends and family. It is true that you’re going to be tempted with calorie-rich delights. But with the right planning and support, you’re going to navigate through the gravies, cookies, and nogs just fine.
Here are a few tips to help you.
- Acknowledge the obvious: Weight gain is common for most people during the holidays. We don’t have to fear the season or pretend it’s not going to present us with challenges. The first step is to recognize that there are going to be food temptations.
- It’s not an “either/or” situation. You don’t have to choose between having fun with family and friends and eating whatever you want, and not having fun and sticking with your weight loss program. Fun is what you make it, it’s not what you eat.
- Stay active but get plenty of sleep. Sounds like a contradiction, right? Well, it’s not. Whether you’re on a weight loss program or not, it is so important to maintain appropriate levels of activity and also get your rest. It impacts your metabolism, your stamina, your mental health, your physical health, your overall wellbeing.
- Be flexible to make adjustments. Listen, it would be great if you remained true to your weight loss program all through the holiday season. I want you to. But the reality is that you’re going to want to try that holiday dessert or you may feel peer pressure to take a bite of the homemade turkey stuffing. When this happens, make the proper adjustments. For example, if you indulge in an unplanned food at lunch, then adjust your dinner.
- Don’t beat yourself up. We’re all human. Trying to lose weight and live healthier isn’t easy. If you do go off your program, don’t dwell on it and let it bring you down. The most important thing is to stay positive and get back on track. A good support system of friends and family will really help you out.
I can tell you that from our experience at Pinsky Weight Loss, the holiday season is challenging. It will put you to the test. But we’ve seen so many people successfully and happily navigate it. With the right program and team surrounding you, you not only will survive, but you’ll thrive through the holidays.